THIS year’s Malaysia Junior Hockey League (MJHL) has been postponed due to Covid-19.
The Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) announced that the new dates for the preliminary rounds of the men’s Division One and Two categories of the MJHL, which were scheduled to take place from March 25 to April 19, will be decided later.
MHC competitions committee chairman Datuk Seri Dr Anil Jeet Singh said the decision was made following discussions between MHC and the National Sports Council (NSC) to ensure the
players’ health and safety.
He said the new dates would only be confirmed after getting the green light from the Youth and Sports Ministry and Education Ministry.
Asked whether the postponement would affect the national hockey team’s progress, Anil Jeet admitted that it would have a slight impact on the national junior squad’s preparation for the Malaysia Games (Sukma) in Johor, especially in terms of talent-spotting.
“But this cannot be avoided. We do not want the players to be infected. My advice to all state hockey associations is to always ensure the players’ health and safety as well as adopt the stipulated preventive measures,” he said.
For the record, SSTMI-Thunderbolts won their eighth TNB Cup title in the MJHL after beating AHP-MSP Thunderbolts 3-0 in June last year.
They had earlier won the National Junior Hockey League. — Bernama
All copyrights for this article are reserved to The Star